Festival of Mathematics
The first festival ran on 12/8/2021. All but the first speaker were graduate students.
The venue was the Research Agora, a virtual space created in Roblox, which is used for 3D interaction and virtual blackboards and slides. The event audio is via the TRS Discord in voice channel
LC002. To join you need to create a Roblox account and install Discord, see the instructions. If you want the experience to work correctly, you should also register your Roblox username in Discord as detailed in the instructions (this allows Discord to transition you automatically between location-specific voice channels).
- 10:00-10:30 Daniel Murfet, The third dawn of reason (video).
- 10:30-11:00 Ben Gerraty, Conformal blocks in the minimal models.
- 11:00-11:30 Will Troiani, Quantum error correcting codes (video).
- 11:30-12:00 Spencer Wong, Feedforward networks are polynomial.
- 12:00-13:00 Lunch / Spectrum Spat
- 13:00-13:30 Liam Carroll, Phase transitions in deep learning.
- 13:30-14:00 Tom Waring, Program synthesis and learning theory.
- 14:00-14:30 Eleanor McMurtry, Composable models of computation.
- 14:30-15:00 Isaac Smith, Comments on (the Mathematics of) Producing Twisted Quantum Doubles.
Attendance at the morning session was about 17 people, and in the afternoon 13. The highlight of the event was the vandalism of its venue. There is a video of some of the other silly bits.
- My talk on the mathematics of AlphaGo.
- (AlphaGo) D.Silver et al “Mastering the game of Go with deep neural networks and tree search”, Nature 2016.
- (AlphaGo Zero) D. Silver et al, “Mastering the Game of Go without human knowledge”, Nature 2017.
- (AlphaZero) D. Silver et al “A general reinforcement learning algorithm that masters chess, shogi, and Go through self-play” Science 2018.
- (AlphaStar) O. Vinyals et al “Grandmaster level in StarCraft II using multi-agent reinforcement learning”, Nature 2019.
- (AlphaFold) J. Jumper et al “Highly accurate protein structure prediction with AlphaFold” Nature 2021. For a useful take on AlphaFold 2 see Al Quraishi.
- (AlphaFold database) K. Tunyasuvunakool et al “Highly accurate protein structure prediction for the human proteome”, Nature 2021.
- J. Clift, D. Murfet and J. Wallbridge “Logic and the 2-Simplicial Transformer” ICLR 2021.
- L. Bottou “From machine learning to machine reasoning” arXiv:2011.
- G. Boole “An investigation of the laws of thought” 1854.
- G. Hinton “Aetherial symbols” talk 2015.
- For an introduction to Clifford algebras, see LC001.
- (Transformers) A. Vaswani et al “Attention is all you need” NeurIPS 2017.
- R. Canetti “Universally Composable Security: A New Paradigm for Cryptographic Protocols” 2020.
- D. Hofheinz and V. Shoup “GNUC: A New Universal Composability Framework” 2012.
- U. Maurer “Constructive Cryptography – A New Paradigm for Security Definitions and Proofs”.
- A. Kitaev “Fault tolerant quantum computation by anyons” 1997.